For my final sculpture project this term, we have to pick a spot in or around the sculpture room to make an installation that incorporates multiples of an object. I have chosen the emergency phone that is attached to the wall in the hallway, shown below.

The object I have chosen to duplicate is a phone receiver. My concept is about how this "emergency phone" is now useless and in a sense obsolete, like a cord phone or pay phone, because of the popular use of cellphones in today's society. If I am in danger, why would I run to a pay phone or emergency phone, when I can just reach into my pocket and dial 911 on my cellphone?
So far, I have managed to make 10 paper casts of my phone out of paper from a phone book. To attach the two sides, I am carefully sewing the two halves together. Below is a picture of my phone and 5 completed casts.

I will continue to make more casts this weekend and install my project on Tuesday morning for critique. For the installation, I will be hanging the phones from the ceiling so they fall in front of the emergency phone and deny the viewer access to it. By hanging the phones, it will reference a phone that is "off the hook" and useless.
very clever! looking forward to the final product :)
ReplyDelete