It has taken me a while, but I am finally getting settled back in to the routine of being a university student. This semester is going to be a very busy one for me, with lots of artsy projects to think about and essays to write. Here are some things I am doing right now that I am excited about.
In my sculpture class, we are taking every day objects and making enlarged copies out of them using cardboard. The object I have chosen to enlarge is a can opener, and I am very excited to see how it will turn out. On another exciting note, my paper phone cast project was selected to be in this year's first and second year show, at Sheridan, and although I never received a picture of my final piece from critique, I will attempt to snap a picture of it in the gallery and upload it shortly.
In drawing, we are to make clay anatomical sculptures of body parts, and then we will make drawings based on our sculptures. Our body parts were picked at random with a game of darts on a skeleton projected onto the wall. I got the right forearm, and created a sculpture showing the muscles and veins under the skin. Here is a picture of my almost complete sculpture:

I was not very excited to start this project at all because I am by no means a biology or anatomy student and had absolutely no idea where to start. Once I had almost completed the sculpture, I started to get really excited about the possible compositions I could use with it. We are doing compositional studies on 6 small pieces of paper with ink, and then we will select a favourite to enlarge on a massive piece of paper. Last year in my painting class, we had to make sculptures and paint them on sheets of paper that were 4 x 5 feet, and although it was absolutely terrifying to work on such a large scale, I was very pleased with the result. Here is a picture of that painting from last year:

This blog turned out to be quite a bit longer than I expected, so I apologize for that, and I do hope you enjoy reading about what us artsies do at school! :)
Nice forearm!
ReplyDeleteMiss you!
I LOVE reading about what you are doing in class! I never felt I was artistic but have always envied those who pursued that in school. Keep telling all! (And sharing photos!)
ReplyDeleteI like the way you had to pick your body part.
ReplyDelete